Sometimes expressing how you feel doesn’t come easily.
You may not want to come off too strong, but at the same time, you want the person to know that you really care and miss them.
Maybe the balance comes from using your own jokes, finding a subtle cute way, or going the romantic route.
Your personality and the personality of the person you want to let know you miss them will determine the approach you take.
If you want to say I miss you to someone, the best thing you can do is be creative, sincere, and honest.
If you’re having trouble finding the words to say how much you miss someone, these creative ways to say I miss you will help.
Creative ways to say I miss you
- I count the days to when I will see you again
- I wish I could fast forward time to see you sooner
- I didn’t realize I could miss someone so much.
- Your presence makes my day better.
- I miss you like a flower misses the sunshine.
- I almost feel sad when you are not with me.
- My life is not the same without you in it.
- I miss you like we are in a long-distance relationship.
- They say a picture makes a thousand words, but I’ll make an exception for this one.
- I’m missing a piece of my puzzle.
- You’re the one who makes me complete.
- I’m addicted to you; I need my fix.
- You make me a happy person, even when you’re not around.
- I’m not the same person without you.
- My life doesn’t have meaning without you in it.
- If only I could teleport, then I could see you right now.
- Nothing makes sense without you.
- You may be out of sight, but never out of mind.
Funny ways to say I miss you
- All of me misses you
- I miss you like a fat kid misses cake
- I miss sharing meals with you
- I miss you like a squirrel misses his nuts
- I miss you like the moon misses the sun
- I miss you more than a dog misses his bone
- I even miss the things that annoy me about you
- I miss the way you get on my nerves.
- I miss how you fuss at me about the dishes.
- You know you are like my GPS. I’m lost without you.
- If only you could be here to annoy me in person.
- I need you like a vampire needs blood.
- This empty pillow next to me wanted me to tell you he misses you.
- I bet you miss cuddling with me at night.
- I hope you’re as miserable without me as I am without you.
Romantic ways to say I miss you
- I miss you so much it hurts
- I want you here with me now
- I feel empty without you
- I have sleepless nights thinking about you
- I see you everywhere I go
- I can’t wait to see you again
- I miss waking up next to you.
- All I do is think of you
- My heart feels empty without you.
- I long for your touch
- I miss holding your hand on our walks.
- I can’t stop smiling and thinking of you.
- My heart misses you every second that we’re apart.
- I wish I could be there to hold you close.
- I long for your hugs and kisses.
Classic ways to say I miss you
- I think about you always
- I wish you were here
- I can’t stop thinking of you.
- I feel empty without you.
- I can’t stop thinking about you.
- I long for your company.
- You’re always on my mind.
- I wish you were here with me.
- I’m really missing you.
- I’m thinking about you all the time.
- I hope to see you soon.
- I miss your smile.
- I miss hearing your voice.
- I miss being with you.
- When I spend time with you, I feel happier.
- I miss you more than words can even say.
- I really need to see you.
- I’m not the same without you.
- Absence makes the heart grow fonder.
- I’m counting the days until I am fortunate enough to see you again.
- I hope you’re missing me as much as I’m missing you.
How do you tell someone you miss them without saying it?
If you are not big on words because you are shy or simply don’t know what to say, there are other ways you can tell someone you miss them.
- You can send a care package with their favorite things.
- Draw or paint a picture for them.
- Cook their favorite meal.
- Send them a ticket to come to visit you.
- Give them a gift.
- Text them with the winkie face emoji or send a meme that makes you think of them.
- Give them a big hug when you see them again.
It’s all about communication, and that doesn’t have to be verbal. Sometimes the little things mean so much more.
A smile and big hug will let someone know you are happy to see them and make them feel missed.
So don’t be afraid to show someone you care in whatever way feels right to you.
What can I say instead of “I miss you”?
If you feel like actually saying I miss you is a little too much or just not your style, you can use questions as a way to gauge how the other person is feeling.
- When will I see you again?
- What are you doing this weekend?
- Do you want to come over?
- When can I talk to you?
- Is there anything I can do for you?
- What are you up to tonight?
- Are you free tomorrow?
- What’s your favorite restaurant?
- How about a movie tonight?
- What’s your favorite type of food?
- Do you like hiking or biking?
- How about going to the park?
- What’s your favorite activity to do outdoors?
You likely want to get close and feel the connection when you miss someone. So using questions to initiate you all spending time together is a subtle way to show that you care and want to be close to them.
If you’re really not into saying I miss you, then actions speak louder than words, and spending quality time with someone is the best way to show them how much they mean to you.
How to say miss you in English
If English is not your first language, it can be intimidating to try and figure out how to say “I miss you” to someone you care about.
Luckily there are a lot of different ways to say it, so you can find the perfect way to express your feelings.
One of the best things you can do is smile and keep it simple. For example, saying “I miss you” with a smile goes a long way in conveying your feelings.
Another suggestion could be saying it in your native tongue and translating it for them.
This works well because your body language will say it all. The way you gaze at them, the way you are holding their hand, all of these things will say “I miss you” even if the words spoken were not understood.
Then, translating it for them will have even more impact on how they feel about the gesture.
If you prefer learning to say it in English, use one of the Classic examples above to keep it simple, and then build from there.
When someone says they miss you, what does it mean?
When someone says they miss you, it generally means they are thinking about you and would like to spend time with you. It is a way of showing someone that you care about them and want to be close to them.
If you say it to someone, it is usually because you have been apart for a while and are longing for their company.
Saying “I miss you” can also tell someone that you are thinking about them and appreciate them being in your life. It’s not always a romantic gesture; it can also be platonic.
In both cases, you are cared for and missed by someone. And that is a feeling we all desire. To know that we are valued and missed by someone.